Tuesday, February 7, 2012

7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners

The hardest "habit" among these 7 1/2 habits is going to be the first one: Begin with the end in mind. I feel like I'm always starting projects without having an end in mind. I guess it's what has always gotten in the way of my writing (I initially thought I'd be a novelist, but I was intimidated by all the research that might have to go into it, and I could never really foresee an ending to any story ideas I had). Looking back, I guess I'd have to say that was what I did wrong when I went to college the first time. I thought the goal was to get the degree. Wow! Even writing that down, it sounds kind of silly. I mean, sure I love getting an education, and I definitely had fun going to college my first time around. And yes, I did end up with a degree. But it was not a degree I felt was particularly useful (i.e. I didn't find it leading me on a path to any particular career), and I didn't have the foresight to attempt to get good grades. Getting the degree itself was enough of a goal for me. Big mistake! But I'm learning from that experience......

I think the easiest "habit" will be to use technology to my advantage. I've done this for as long as I can remember. I've always had an interest in learning new things, especially new types of technology. I'm not always able to afford the latest gadgets or tools, but the interest is pretty much always there. I have a bit of a knack for it, too, so I'm able to figure out how things work and, oftentimes, I'm able to help share that knowledge with others. In that aspect, I'd say the 6th and 7th habits kind of go hand-in-hand for me.

I'm on an incredible journey!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for joining the program. I look forward to hearing your insights about our upcoming lessons.

    ReplyDelete